The East Kent Railway

The Line That Ran to Nowhere

John Scott-Morgan

 
Date Published :
August 2021
Publisher :
Pen and Sword
Series :
Light Railway Profiles
Illustration :
180 illustrations
Format Available    QuantityPrice
Binding : Hardback
ISBN : 9781526726858

Dimensions : 6.7 X 9.8 inches
Stock Status : Out of stock. Available in 6-8 weeksPages : 208
-
+
$50.00
Also available as an ebook:
Buy From Amazon Amazon
Buy From Apple Apple
Buy From Barnes and Noble Barnes & Noble
Buy From Google Google
Buy From Kobo Kobo

Overview
-

The East Kent Railway was one of Britain's less well known light railways, a part of the Colonel Stephens group of lines, the East Kent Railway was meant to open up the newly discovered Kent coal field and help to make its shareholders wealthy, however things took a different turn, when the projected colliery's along the line did not materialise the way the promoters had first envisaged.

The only colliery to produce quantities of coal being Tilmanstone near Shepherdswell, which opened in 1912.

There were other pits started along the formation of the line from Shepherdswell to Wingham, but in the cases of the other pits, only the surface buildings or test shafts were constructed, before the work was abandoned.

This was largely due to flooding and the poor calorific quality of East Kent coal, which had to be mixed with other coal to be effectively used.

There were four colliery's completed in Kent, the East Kent Railway only served one of them and this together with the other three lasted until the latter part of the 20th century.

The railway operated a loss making passenger service to Wingham and for a few years to Sandwich Road halt on the line to Richborough Port line, however the service to Wingham Canterbury Road came to an end in October 1948, after British Railways had taken control.

The East Kent Railway lasted through two world wars and was nationalised in 1948, becoming part of the Southern Region of British Railways, it closed to traffic in 1984, during the coal strike.

About The Author
-

John Scott-Morgan is the author of multiple railway histories and photographic surveys, he is the founder of the British Overseas Railways Historical Trust and is a life long transport historian and preservationist. His family has been involved with the railway industry since the early days, having relatives who worked on the railways since 1836. He is also involved in a curatorial capacity, with the Great Western Society at Didcot, advising on the restoration and preservation of locomotives and rolling stock. He lives in Woking in Surrey where he continues to write transport history books.

Similar Titles